Whole Wheat Gingerbread
Gingerbread is an old favorite because it's simple to make. I learned that pioneers served gingerbread with meals, but now it's considered a dessert! Serve hot or cold, with a dollop of whipped or ice cream.
12-15 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups milk
- Whipped cream
- In a large bowl, beat molasses, honey, oil and eggs until well-mixed.
- Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with the milk to the egg
- mixture. Pour batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake
- at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the
- center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature with
- chilled whipped cream. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 324 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 276 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.