Whole Wheat French Bread Recipe
The first time I made this recipe my husband asked it if was homemade or store-bought. When he reached for a second piece, I knew I had a winning recipe.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 5 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups stone-ground whole wheat flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Yellow cornmeal
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. Combine the flours. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour mixture and the yeast. Set aside. Heat water, sugar, salt and butter to 115°-120°. Add to flour and yeast. Beat with on low speed for 30 seconds; increase speed to medium and beat 3 additional minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide in half and let rest 10 minutes. Roll each half into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with the long side. Pinch seal and turn ends under to form a smooth loaf. Sprinkle two baking sheets with cornmeal and place each loaf, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet. Make slashes every 2-1/2 in. in the top of each loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Beat egg white and water; brush some over loaves. Refrigerate remaining mixture. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Brush again with egg white mixture and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 102 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 227 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC