- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, salt, egg, whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour and remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a grease bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into 4-in. circles. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until bottom is browned. Turn muffins over; bake 7 minutes longer or until second side is browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in the refrigerator. To serve, split with a fork and toast. Yield: about 10 muffins.
Reviews for Whole Wheat English Muffins
Sort By :
"These were pretty easy to make but there weren't airy holes that I like in an English muffin. I only bake these when I'm in another country where I can't buy them off the shelf. I'll make them again but not make them as large this time. They really grow and seem heavy to eat."