Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Recipe
It does my heart good to see our gang - right down to my great-grandchildren - reach eagerly for one of my homemade rolls. These are hearty with whole wheat and rich with old-fashioned goodness, and they bake up to a beautiful golden brown. -Ruby Williams, Bogalusa, Louisiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, shortening, salt, eggs and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four pieces. Shape each into 12 balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 11-15 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Serve warm. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 roll equals 89 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 111 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC