Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, shortening, salt, eggs and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four pieces. Shape each into 12 balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 11-15 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Serve warm. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls(10)
Sort By :
These rolls are delicious. I sometimes use them to make sandwiches to take to work. The first time I did, a friend asked me, "Where did you get those cute 'slider rolls'?"
These are very good. The first time I made these I forgot to put in the eggs and they still tasted great. They are now a favorite in my home.
These are wonderful when you first make them. I tried freezing 1/2 of them and when I tried to use them they wouldn't rise. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but they didn't work.
Fantastic - These were wonderful. I froze half of the recipe like another reviewer suggested and am looking forward to having fresh rolls that I only have to bake. Yeah!!!
I am making this recipe again for the second time as I write this. These are some of the best rolls I've ever had, glad I made them myself. A tip I have... freeze the balls of dough on a cookie sheet after they're formed, then place in a zip-top bag after frozen. When you want them for dinner, take them out and place on a greased cookie sheet and let defrost and rise 1-2 hours. Then bake according to the recipe.