Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins Recipe
Kristine Couture of Farnham, Quebec starts the day in a healthy way with these scrumptious carrot muffins. Extras make a guilt-free afternoon pick-me-up with coffee.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat spreadable margarine
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, beat the margarine, orange juice and egg on medium speed for 1 minute (mixture will not be smooth). Stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in carrots and raisins.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill half full with batter. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 6 muffins.
1 muffin equals 145 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC