- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat spreadable margarine
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup raisins
- In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, beat the margarine, orange juice and egg on medium speed for 1 minute (mixture will not be smooth). Stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in carrots and raisins.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill half full with batter. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 6 muffins.
Reviews for Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins
"I dont know what went wrong here, because it looks like no one else mentioned any issues, but mine did not really rise. I did put in all the ingredients and definitely added the baking soda and powder. One thing that I noticed was that this was not a "batter" consistency, but more a thick paste. I thought it was strange that the recipe calls for so little liquid."
"Just made these this morning - delish! You'll want to double or triple the batch, though: only made about 16 mini muffins, which are fast disappearing. Moist & tasty - great recipe."
"I used applesauce instead of the margarine and they turned out wonderful!"