Whole Wheat Buttermilk Rolls Recipe
Irene Cliett in Cedar Bluff, Mississippi is always looking for recipes tailored to her husband’s low-fat, low-sugar diet. “These rolls have just a hint of sweetness and we both love them,“ she says.
- 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the self-rising flour, 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, sugar and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat buttermilk and oil to 120°-130° (mixture will appear curdled). Add to dry ingredients; beat just until smooth. Stir in remaining whole wheat flour.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3. Roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35-40 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 roll equals 116 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Whole Wheat Buttermilk Rolls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC