Whole Wheat Buttermilk Rolls Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the self-rising flour, 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, sugar and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat buttermilk and oil to 120°-130° (mixture will appear curdled). Add to dry ingredients; beat just until smooth. Stir in remaining whole wheat flour.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3. Roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35-40 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 116 calories, 3g fat (0g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Whole Wheat Buttermilk Rolls
"This recipe is not for beginner cooks. I followed the recipe exactly but the biscuits did not rise, and before you ask, yes I did add the quick-rise yeast!"