Whole Wheat Butterhorns Recipe
I take Whole Wheat Butterhorns to potluck suppers, and I serve them to guests—they've always brought many requests for the recipe. They're a favorite at home, too. The rolls don't take long to make, and they freeze very well for future use. My husband and I have four married children and three grandchildren. We have a hay and cattle operation, and he's also a carpenter. I enjoy gardening...every year I can and freeze my harvest, then share the bounty with friends and family.
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and yeast.
- 2. Heat the water, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons butter, honey and salt to 120°-130°; add to flour mixture. Beat on low for 30 seconds with electric mixer; increase speed to high and continue beating 3 minutes. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down and divide into thirds. Shape each into a ball, cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- 4. On a lightly floured surface, roll the balls into three 12-in. circles. Cut each circle into 6-8 wedges. Roll wedges into crescent shapes, starting at the wide end. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Melt remaining butter and brush some on each crescent.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush again with butter while hot. Yield: 18-24 rolls.
1 serving (1 each) equals 137 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 237 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC