Whole Wheat Brownie Mix Recipe
"Here's one way to get your kids to eat whole wheat - use it to make brownies!" suggests Roni Goodell from Spanish Fork, Utah. "My mom baked these often when I was younger. They're so good, they don't need frosting."
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer for up to 3 months. Yield: about 4 batches (about 11 cups total).
- 2. To prepare brownies: In a large bowl, combine eggs, vanilla and 2-1/2 cups brownie mix until blended (batter will be stiff). Stir in nuts if desired.
- 3. Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 16 brownies per batch.
1 serving (1 each) equals 109 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Whole Wheat Brownie Mix
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC