Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
I'm 12 years old and make this bread with my mother, who got the recipe from her mother. I usually make the dough, and my mom bakes it.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water. Add the oil, sugar, molasses, salt and remaining water. Combine flours; add 3 cups flour to mixture. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 168 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 223 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC