Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water. Add the oil, sugar, molasses, salt and remaining water. Combine flours; add 3 cups flour to mixture. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices).
1 slice: 168 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Whole Wheat Bread
"This bread was a huge success! My husband has been asking for wheat bread so I tried this recipe and it is now a family favorite. I used my bread machine , using the dough cycle, which made my bread making so much easier! Great recipe, I would highly recommend!"
"I work at 2 camps, one is a boy's camp and the other a family camp, I have made this bread multiple times with great results every time! They all love it, it stays so moist!"
"Very tasty. I did make a few changes though....I used 1/2 C. oil and 1/4 butter melted. I added 4Tbsp. non-fat dry powdered milk. Also I cut the salt down to 2 tsp.,and I added to the flour: 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed, 3 Tbsp. 10 grain cereal, and 2 Tbsp. gluten. (no one here has any allergies so i can do that). I DID NOT mix the flours together, and glad I didnt. I put the whole wheat flour in a bowl, added 2 Cups A.P. flour and the remaining dry ingredients in the recipe along with the added extras I put in. Then after I added the liquid ingredients and mixed it up real well, I slowly added more A.P. flour to form the dough. I did not need all the 5 1/5 cups A.P. flour.I ended up baking for 40 minutes, AND I got three 5"x11" loaves.Defiantly a keeper."
"Amazing bread! Rose a lot! Huge loaves."
"Excellent great texture and flavor. I only needed to use 6 1/2 cups of mixed flour."
"This makes excellent bread, we had it tonight with Turkey soup and it was a big hit. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It was easy to make and I like the fact that it makes two loaves, one is never enough."
"This a great bread. Its good tasting and full of flaver. I`m not a baker as a rule but this was good the first time I tried it."
"I was looking for a good whole wheat bread recipe an this is great made a few changes, added bran, flax seed an more whole wheat flour. my husband an I love it"
"I make this recipe at least once a week! I have added 1/4 cup each of wheat germ, sunflower kernels (unsalted), flax meal and flax seed. I did not alter the amount of flour. This gives it a yummy nutty flavor and I love the benefits of the added nutrients and fiber. It is an excellent sandwich bread and makes awesome french toast. GOOD Stuff!"
"We loved this bread!! It is so moist. I am making it again today. :)"
"Great bread! I used brown sugar instead of white. We will be making it again."
"This bread is delicious. I substituted whole milk for the water and used half the canola oil and the other half real butter. WOW...We will be making it again and again."
"I discovered this recipe five days ago and have already made it a second time! It's delicious and very moist."
"Turned out great and it sliced easily and didn't crumble- good for making sandwiches!"
"This is now the only basic wheat bread we will be making at our house. It is moist and flavorful and it's easy to see why the recipe has been passed on over time!"
"One note though - I only have to bake this for 30-35 min for it to be well done."
"Sooooooooo easy and delicious!!!"