- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water. Add the oil, sugar, molasses, salt and remaining water. Combine flours; add 3 cups flour to mixture. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices).
Reviews for Whole Wheat Bread
"I work at 2 camps, one is a boy's camp and the other a family camp, I have made this bread multiple times with great results every time! They all love it, it stays so moist!"
"Very tasty. I did make a few changes though....I used 1/2 C. oil and 1/4 butter melted. I added 4Tbsp. non-fat dry powdered milk. Also I cut the salt down to 2 tsp.,and I added to the flour: 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed, 3 Tbsp. 10 grain cereal, and 2 Tbsp. gluten. (no one here has any allergies so i can do that). I DID NOT mix the flours together, and glad I didnt. I put the whole wheat flour in a bowl, added 2 Cups A.P. flour and the remaining dry ingredients in the recipe along with the added extras I put in. Then after I added the liquid ingredients and mixed it up real well, I slowly added more A.P. flour to form the dough. I did not need all the 5 1/5 cups A.P. flour.I ended up baking for 40 minutes, AND I got three 5"x11" loaves.Defiantly a keeper."
"Amazing bread! Rose a lot! Huge loaves."
"Excellent great texture and flavor. I only needed to use 6 1/2 cups of mixed flour."
"This a great bread. Its good tasting and full of flaver. I`m not a baker as a rule but this was good the first time I tried it."
"I was looking for a good whole wheat bread recipe an this is great made a few changes, added bran, flax seed an more whole wheat flour. my husband an I love it"
"I make this recipe at least once a week! I have added 1/4 cup each of wheat germ, sunflower kernels (unsalted), flax meal and flax seed. I did not alter the amount of flour. This gives it a yummy nutty flavor and I love the benefits of the added nutrients and fiber. It is an excellent sandwich bread and makes awesome french toast. GOOD Stuff!"
"We loved this bread!! It is so moist. I am making it again today. :)"