Whole Wheat Braids
There's nothing like fresh bread to complete a meal. I've had very good results with this recipe. Braiding the dough makes a pretty presentation.
48 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, eggs,
- oil, salt and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Add enough
- all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover
- and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide into nine pieces; shape each piece into a
- 14-in. x rope and braid three ropes together. Place in three greased
- 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30
- minutes. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans to
- cool on wire racks. Yield: 3 loaves.
Nutritional Facts: One slice equals 112 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium,