- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, eggs, oil, salt and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide into nine pieces; shape each piece into a 14-in. x rope and braid three ropes together. Place in three greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 3 loaves.
Originally published as Whole Wheat Braids in Country April/May 1997, p51
Reviews for Whole Wheat Braids
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 13, 2010
"This is delicious. I now make it regularly and my granddaughter who is 15 just asked for the recipe. Easy and delicious. Mine was done in about 35 minutes."
Reviewed Aug. 11, 2010