Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones Recipe
No one will suspect that these moist scones from our Test Kitchen staff are light. Featuring a rustic, sugary topping and loaded with whole wheat flour and fresh blueberries, the golden wedges are delightfully nutritious.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Stir in blueberries. Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 10 times.
- 2. Transfer dough to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut into 12 wedges, but do not separate. Sprinkle with sugar.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 scone equals 225 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 253 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC