Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones
No one will suspect that these moist scones from our Test Kitchen staff are light. Featuring a rustic, sugary topping and loaded with whole wheat flour and fresh blueberries, the golden wedges are delightfully nutritious.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder and
- baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Stir in blueberries. Turn
- onto a floured surface; gently knead 10 times.
- Transfer dough to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Pat into
- a 9-in. circle. Cut into 12 wedges, but do not separate. Sprinkle
- with sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 scone equals 225 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 253 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,