No one will suspect that these moist scones from our Test Kitchen staff are light. Featuring a rustic, sugary topping and loaded with whole wheat flour and fresh blueberries, the golden wedges are delightfully nutritious.
Recommended: 66 Recipes to Make This Spring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Stir in blueberries. Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 10 times.
- Transfer dough to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut into 12 wedges, but do not separate. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones in Light & Tasty February/March 2006, p8
Reviews for Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 29, 2010
"The batter was so runny I could'nt do anything with it. Maybe the ingredients are wrong in the receipe."