Whole Wheat Blueberry-Nut Bread Recipe
- 1-1/3 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries or cranberries
- 1/3 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts, toasted
- Additional olive oil
- In bread machine pan, place all the ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting.
- Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed. Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add blueberries and walnuts.
- When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down; shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown, tent with foil after 30 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. Brush top with oil. Yield: 1 loaf (2 pounds, 16 slices).
Reviews for Whole Wheat Blueberry-Nut Bread (1)
Sort By :
Because I don't have a bread machine, I had to adjust the recipe somewhat for my stand mixer. I found it dry and suspect that most people will need to add water after the 5 minutes of mixing. In the stand mixer, I add the nuts and cranberries after adding 2 cups of the whole wheat flour. Then I only add enough flour to make the dough the proper consistency for a heavy bread.
I like the flax seed and oatmeal additions to the bread as it is healthier.