Whole Wheat Biscuits
This quick and easy recipe adds a special touch to everyday meals. See if you don't get a lot of compliments when you serve these biscuits fresh from the oven.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and
- salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat
- egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients until a ball forms.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead 5-6 times. Roll to 1/2-in.
- thickness; brush with butter. Cut with a 2-in. biscuit cutter. Place
- on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or
- until golden brown. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 176 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.