"A hint of orange livens up this moist and nutty banana bread," says Kathy Merrick from Hammond, Indiana. "I've taken loaves to potluck suppers and they are always a hit." She suggests trying a slice for breakfast or as a sensibly scrumptious snack.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium navel orange, peeled and sectioned (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 2 medium ripe banana
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a food processor or blender, process the oranges, bananas, sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans.
- Pour into two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (10 slices each).
Originally published as Whole Wheat Banana Bread in Light & Tasty February/March 2005, p43
Reviews for Whole Wheat Banana Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review