Whole Grain Pancake Mix Recipe
I found this basic recipe in my local newspaper, and tweaked it for our family. It has all the convenience of commercial pancake mix...plus it is packed with whole grains. Even with the grains this is a light and fluffy pancake.—Dorcas Byler, Brevard, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch YIELD:60 servings
- 10 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups buttermilk blend powder
- 1-1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking powder
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Place oats in a food processor; cover and process until ground. Stir into flour mixture. Divide mixture among five airtight containers. Store for up to 6 months. Yield: 15 cups.
- 2. To prepare pancakes: Pour 1 cup mix into a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, water and oil; stir into pancake mix just until moistened.
- 3. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown. Yield: 8 pancakes per batch.
2 pancakes equals 193 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 501 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC