Whole Grain Loaf Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the cottage cheese, honey, oil, salt, egg and 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in whole wheat and rye flours, oats, wheat germ and enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
- 2. Tun onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 75 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down; let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into a ball. Place on a greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 120 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Whole Grain Loaf
"Didn't have rye, so I used double oats and threw in some flax, too. My kids loved it and so did I!"
"I have made this bread at least six times and it is excellent. However, I had to increase the water to one cup. It makes a larger than average loaf."