Whole Grain Loaf Recipe
"This flavorful bread is eye-catching and chock-full of nutrients," writes field editor Nancy Means of Moline, Illinois. "I baked this beautiful loaf on stage at the state fair and won Reserve Grand Champion."
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the cottage cheese, honey, oil, salt, egg and 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in whole wheat and rye flours, oats, wheat germ and enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
- 2. Tun onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 75 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down; let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into a ball. Place on a greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
One slice equals 120 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC