Whole-Grain Gingerbread Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour or King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup candied or crystallized ginger, optional
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. In a small bowl, combine the butter and molasses. Add to the flour mixture; mix until ingredients are moistened. Stir in water. Beat egg in buttermilk; stir into batter until well mixed. If desired, fold in ginger.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Whole-Grain Gingerbread
"This gingerbread is so good! My husband is not a big fan of whole grain foods, but he enjoyed this as much as I did. We especially liked the addition of the candied ginger!"
"This is the best gingerbread. Easy to make and with the candied ginger puts it over the top."