White Wine Coq au Vin Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup pearl onions
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add onions; boil 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels.
- 3. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken in drippings; remove and keep warm. Add onions and mushrooms to drippings; saute until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 4. Combine flour and broth; stir into onion mixture. Add the wine, bay leaf and thyme; bring to a boil. Return chicken and bacon to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- 5. Remove chicken and keep warm. Cook sauce over medium heat until slightly thickened. Discard bay leaf. Serve chicken and sauce with noodles. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 672 calories, 37g fat (13g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 1093mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 47g protein .
Reviews for White Wine Coq au Vin
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.