- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- Food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set (do not brown). Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat butter, shortening and vanilla until blended. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and enough milk to reach spreading consistency; beat 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. If desired, beat in food coloring. Frost cookies. (Keep frosting covered with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for White Velvet Cutouts
"Everyone always goes crazy about these cookies!"
"I have been making these for YEARS. I received this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine back in the '90's. These are a HIT every time I make them. Absolutely delicious and so easy to make. The cream cheese in the dough is amazing! These are always the favorite when we give cookies away at Christmas."
"When people request the recipe you know it's a hit"
"Make these every Xmas and they are delicious. The cream cheese really adds something to the batter over a plain sugar cookie. Try them!"
"Good for cutout cookies"
"I've been making these for a couple of years now. This is a favorite among my family and friends."
"Made no adjustments; dough was easy to work with and cookies melted in your mouth. Very good recipe"
"Can anyone tell me if the cookies need to be refrigerated with the buttercream frosting, if I want them to be good for a week or so?"
"Made these cookies when my kids were little. Lost the recipe. Glad I found it again. Yumy cookie!!!"
"This is the only cutout recipe I use. I substitute almond extract for the vanilla."