White Velvet Cutouts Recipe
We make these cutouts every Christmas and give lots of them as gifts. Last year, we baked a batch a week all through December to be sure we'd have plenty for ourselves, too. These rich cookies melt in your mouth! — Kim Hinkle, Wauseon, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:42 servings
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- BUTTER CREAM FROSTING:
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk, divided
- Red and/or green food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well. Cover and chill 2 hours or until firm.
- 2. Roll out on a floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into 3-in. shapes; place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set (not browned). Cool 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For frosting, combine 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, butter, shortening, vanilla and 3 tablespoons milk in a large bowl; beat until smooth. Gradually add remaining sugar; beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add enough remaining milk and food coloring until frosting reaches desired consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: about 7 dozen.
2 cookies equals 233 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 114 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC