White Velvet Cutouts Recipe
We make these cutouts every Christmas and give lots of them as gifts. Last year, we baked a batch a week all through December to be sure we'd have plenty for ourselves, too. These rich cookies melt in your mouth! — Kim Hinkle, Wauseon, Ohio
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- Red or green food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set (do not brown). Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a bowl, beat butter, shortening and vanilla until blended. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and enough milk to reach spreading consistency; beat 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. If desired, beat in food coloring. Frost cookies. (Keep frosting covered with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC