White Sausage Gravy
A Southern specialty, this hearty pork sausage gravy uses sausage drippings, milk and flour to make a thick creamy gravy traditionally served over biscuits.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash nutmeg
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Warm biscuits, split
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and onion until the
- sausage is no longer pink. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings
- in skillet. Stir flour into sausage and drippings until blended.
- Cook and stir until light golden brown. Gradually stir in milk and
- seasonings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Serve over biscuits. Yield: 6 servings (about 4 cups).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 283 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 489 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 12 g protein.