White Sauce Mix
"I keep this mix handy in my fridge so when I'm in a hurry, there is less measuring and fewer ingredients to get out," reports Joan Baskin, Black creek, British Columbia. "I've never had a lump white sauce using this recipe."
14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 cups instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup water
- Combine dry milk, flour and salt; mix well. Cut in butter until
- mixture resembles fine crumbs. Store in an airtight container in the
- refrigerator for up to 3 months. Yield: Number of batches varies
- depending on thickness of sauce (4-2/3 cups total).
- To prepare white sauce: For a thin white sauce, combine 1/3 cup mix
- and 1 cup water in a saucepan. For a medium white sauce, use 1/2 cup
- mix. For a thick white sauce, use 3/4 cup of mix. Bring to a boil
- over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Yield: 1 cup sauce
- per batch.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/3 cup) equals 209 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 561 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.