White Sauce for Pasta
"My husband, Jimmy, and I created the recipe for this creamy, versatile sauce," says field editor Ruth Marie Lyons of Boulder, Colorado. "I like to serve it over pasta and cooked vegetables...or draped on turkey, chicken, shrimp or tuna."
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons butter-flavored granules
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- Pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, butter-flavored granules
- and bouillon until blended. Gradually add water and milk. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with
- pepper. Yield: 2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/4 cup) equals 46 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 476 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat.