White Christmas Chili
For a surefire way to add extra warmth to your holiday get-together, dish up Angela Biggin's delightfully different chili. "It wins compliments whenever I serve it," she writes from her Lyons, Illinois kitchen. "Be sure to garnish it with bright peppers or herbs that makes it look really festive."
12-14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 6 cups turkey or chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 pounds turkey or chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) white sweet corn
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Chopped green and sweet red peppers, optional
- Place beans in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and
- soak for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse
- beans; return to the pan. Add broth, onion, garlic and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Add
- turkey and corn; simmer for 15 minutes. Add cream just before
- serving; heat through. If desired, garnish individual servings with
- peppers. Yield: 12-14 servings (3 quarts).