- In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed
- until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold
- into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter
- with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at
- 325° for 65-75 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly
- touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a
- serving plate. In a small saucepan, cook and stir jam over low heat
- until bubbly. Drizzle over cake. Cool.
- In a microwave, melt baking chocolate and shortening; stir until
- smooth. Drizzle over cake. Garnish with chocolate curls and
- raspberries if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice (calculated without garnish) equals 411 calories, 20 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 197 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.