White Chocolate Cranberry Bread Recipe
Tangy cranberries complement the appealing vanilla-citrus flavor of this quick bread shared by Ruth Burrus, a field editor from Zionsville, Indiana. The fine texture of her holiday loaf is similar to a pound cake.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vanilla or white chips, melted and cooled
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and vanilla. Stir in melted chips. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture, alternately with buttermilk and orange juice, beating well after each addition. Fold in cranberries.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 238 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 119 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC