This cake is special to me because I took a recipe I had been making for years and added my own touches. I incorporated fresh peaches and macadamia nuts to the batter. I also switched from dark to white chocolate. My family gave the results a thumb's up. —Darl Collins, Marklevile, Indiana
Featured In: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened sliced peaches, thawed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped, toasted
- 6 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, chopped, toasted
- Line three 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, melt chocolate; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Sift flour and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pat peaches dry with paper towels. Fold peaches, chocolate and macadamia nuts into batter. Divide among prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a microwave, melt chocolate with cream; cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, beat butter and extract until fluffy; add cooled chocolate mixture. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar.
- Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with coconut and macadamia nuts. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as White Chocolate-Coconut Layer Cake in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p257