- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (15 ounces) cream of coconut, divided
- 3 egg whites
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup vanilla or white chips
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 3-1/2 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, 3/4 cup cream of coconut and egg whites; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the evaporated milk, chips, cream cheese, 3 tablespoons heavy cream and remaining cream of coconut; cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted.
- Remove from the heat; stir in 1-1/2 cups coconut and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate until mixture reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat remaining cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and remaining vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for White Chocolate Coconut Cake
Sort By :
"I haven't attempted this cake yet but coconut is my favorite cake. I did read all the reviews and couldn't believe how many made it only to fail. If you think about it the chips will set up and the cream cheese will set up as it chills. That should be enough to thicken it as it cools down so I will add another 1/4 cup of chips to thicken it up if it doesn't do what its suppose to. You want a frosting consistency so you don't want to make it to thick..... cannot wait to make it myself. As for the outside, I will buy a big container of cool whip and finish it off with that! I have so many cake recipes that call for Cool Whip............ don't know why it wouldn't work for this cake and I have a coconut cake recipe that calls for yellow cake mix....don't know why it wouldn't work for this instead of white, yellow has much more flavor."
"I found a lot of difficulty making this cake. To begin, the recipe tells you to divide the five ounces of evaporated milk, however it also tells you to put all of it into the filling. It also does not tell you how long you are supposed to let the filling sit in the fridge. This recipe is extremely flawed and needs to be edited with correct instructions."
"This cake is very impressive looking and delicious too. If you love coconut this is the cake to make."
"It tastes great. It took forever to thicken I even put in freezer . It was enough for 5 cakes. It ran over the sides. Too much of something in filling. I will try again. The frosting needed tripled. Thank you"
"The recipe calls for evaporated milk, but some people said they used condensed sweetened milk. Which is it? I made it, and it was very yummy. I had trouble getting the filling to set up also. I added more white chocolate to make it thicker. I used evaporated milk. The sweetened condensed would make it thicker."