White Chocolate-Candy Cane Parfaits Recipe
Candy canes add fun crunch and a burst of mint flavor in these lovely parfaits. The delightful desserts are fun for the holidays.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling YIELD:8 servings
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup finely crushed candy canes, divided
- 1/3 cup crushed shortbread cookies
- Additional crushed candy canes
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add 1 cup heavy whipping cream and milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook and stir with a wire whisk 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in white chocolate until melted. Stir in vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Press waxed paper onto surface of pudding; refrigerate until chilled.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat remaining cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and peppermint extract; beat until soft peaks form. Fold in 2 tablespoons crushed candies.
- 4. In each of eight dessert dishes, layer 1/4 cup pudding and 2 teaspoons crushed candies and cookie crumbs. Top with whipped cream. Garnish with additional crushed candies. Yield: 8 servings.
1 parfait equals 408 calories, 27 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 146 mg cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC