- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 rotisserie chicken, cut up
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) white corn, drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- Salsa and chopped green onions, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Gradually add broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the chicken, beans, corn, chilies, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and pepper sauce; heat through. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Garnish each serving with salsa and green onions if desired. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for White Chili with a Kick
Sort By :
We LOVE this chili! I made it just as the recipe says and I wouldn't change a thing. Delicious!
The ultimate compliment came to me last night when my daughter, Kelly, asked me to give her this recipe because her husband, Jeff, likes it verrrrrry much! I will be making it several times this winter.
Great soup. Only thing I changed was because a local restaurant makes a similar soup and they roast pablono (sp?) peppers and puree them, which I decided to use instead of green chilies. I'm single, but like to make my own soups, then freeze in serving size containers for quick meals. The Senior Citizens I served this to really enjoyed it. Not to hot and spicy. Just enough "kick". Oh, I also used more chicken broth than recipe calls for.
Instead of green chilies I use 1 can of Hormel Green Chili with Pork, I leave out the corn, and add 1 cup Pace Picante Sauce (medium).
One of the best White Chili recipes I have made. I did substitute Jalapenos for the chilies and left the seeds. I chopped them up and cooked with the onions