Reports Karen Gardiner, a Eutaw, Alabama field editor, "This recipe was given to me by a friend who got it from another friend. The day after I served it, someone called for the recipe, too!"
- 2 pounds dried great northern beans
- 1-1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4-1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In a stockpot, saute onion in oil until tender. Combine seasonings; add half to onion mixture. Saute 1 minute. Add beans, broth and garlic; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat chicken with remaining seasoning mixture; place in 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink; add to beans. Stir in chilies. Cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until flavors are blended. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as White Chili in Taste of Home October/November 1995, p17
Reviews for White Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review