- 2 pounds dried great northern beans
- 1-1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4-1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In a stockpot, saute onion in oil until tender. Combine seasonings; add half to onion mixture. Saute 1 minute. Add beans, broth and garlic; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat chicken with remaining seasoning mixture; place in 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink; add to beans. Stir in chilies. Cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until flavors are blended. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for White Chili
Sort By :
"I forgot to add the chilli's (but didn't miss them at all). Also added some potatoes and corn. I agree with the previous cook, it is more like a soup/stew as it is not super thick. Was a hit at my house."
"I forgot to put in the chilli's (but didn't miss them at all), added a few potatoes and some corn. This was a definite hit at my house."
"I added a roux to thicken it the way I prefer. The addition of the fat, in the form of butter from the roux, mellowed the flavors nicely."