- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, drained, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook chicken and onion in oil until lightly browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chilies, cumin, oregano and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. With a potato masher, mash one can of beans until smooth. Add to saucepan. Add remaining beans to saucepan. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Top each serving with cheese and jalapeno pepper if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for White Chicken Chili
Sort By :
"This is pretty good! I took the advice of another user and added salt-garlic salt to be exact- and let it simmer for an hour so the flavors had a chance to soak into the rotisserie chicken I used. I doubled the recipe and it seemed a bit soupy, but it was good. If you're making it for kids I recommend cutting back on the heat, but I made a special batch for my husband and I and threw in the diced jalape?os and added a little extra cayenne pepper. Nice and spicy!"
"My favorite chili recipe! Freezes well individual portions, too!"
"I couldn't find my usual White Chicken Chili recipe so tried this. I did not add the chiles, cut back on the cayenne pepper, and it was still plenty hot! Have located my usual recipe and will probably make it next time; I like the spice combination in it."
"Easy recipe and delicious too! I cut it down with a guesstimate of measurements because it is just 2 of us. I also sprinkled some Wondra in as it was cooking to thicken it up a bit. Next time I will cut chicken into smaller chunks, mine were a bit large., and add a bit more green chiles. i was very pleased with the taste and look."
"Always everyone's favorite."