- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 3-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in soup. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: potatoes, ham, cheese and sauce. Repeat layers.
- Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 40-50 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 10 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for White Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
"I made these potatoes at Easter and I was overwhelmed with compliments! Yes, it is fattening, but it is only once a year! Indulge- you will never make any other scalloped potatoes!"
"Great recipe! Will definitely a keeper! I wasn't sure about the spices, but they worked well."
"1star in order to ask a question. What's the difference between white and orange cheddar?"
"Great, I halved the recipe and used cream of onion soup instead of cream of mushroom soup"
"this one is a keeper, very good!"