White Casserole Bread Recipe
This bread won a blue ribbon when I entered it in a competition at a local fair. No matter how many times I prepare it, friends and family always proclaim it a winner!
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into a round loaf and place in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Using a sharp knife, make three slashes across the top. Bake 40-45 minutes. Remove from dish to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
One slice equals 90 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 73 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC