White Casserole Bread
This bread won a blue ribbon when I entered it in a competition at a local fair. No matter how many times I prepare it, friends and family always proclaim it a winner!
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt and 1-1/2
- cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a
- soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into a round loaf and place in a greased
- 1-qt. baking dish. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30
- Preheat oven to 350°. Using a sharp knife, make three slashes
- across the top. Bake 40-45 minutes. Remove from dish to cool on a
- wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Nutritional Facts: One slice equals 90 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 73 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber,