This bread won a blue ribbon when I entered it in a competition at a local fair. No matter how many times I prepare it, friends and family always proclaim it a winner!
Recommended: Top 10 Dinner Recipes Under 500 Calories
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into a round loaf and place in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Using a sharp knife, make three slashes across the top. Bake 40-45 minutes. Remove from dish to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as White Casserole Bread in Country Woman July/August 1995, p36
Reviews for White Casserole Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 30, 2013
"I'm an avid baker of yeasdt breads. Will so ebnjoy making this bread! Thank you for sharing. Joscy"