White Beans and Veggies with Couscous Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute zucchini and onion until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- 2. Stir in beans, tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened and zucchini is tender, 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine water, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve bean mixture with couscous.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled bean mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup bean mixture with 3/4 cup couscous: 350 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 521mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 9g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for White Beans and Veggies with Couscous
"I have not adjusted this recipe myself, but simply swapping the butter in the couscous for olive oil makes it vegan. I like it as is. I actually saved this from a different magazine, but found it on this site to share electronically with friends."
"I made this as stated for our weekly meatless meal. I thought it was just okay, kind of bland. I'm sure it could be tweaked to add more flavor. My husband did not like it all though."
"This is an awesome recipe! It is so easy to add things you like and give it a whole new flavor!"
"This is very good and easy to make! I used packaged basil flavor pearled couscous, which added even more "wow" factor to this quick recipe."
"This is one of the few vegan recipes that I will share with my husband, who recently switched for health reasons. I eliminated the butter in the couscous to lower fat as well. This is a regular good-tasting dish, unlike many others."