White Beans and Veggies with Couscous Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, onion and garlic; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender.
- 2. Stir in beans, tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened and zucchini is tender, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine water, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Serve bean mixture with couscous.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled bean mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup bean mixture with 3/4 cup couscous equals 350 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 521 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.