White Bean Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound dried baby lima beans
- 1/2 pound dried great northern beans
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid; set beans aside. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. In the same pan, saute chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Drain and set aside. Saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add the carrots, celery and garlic; saute 1-2 minutes longer.
- 3. Stir in the broth, water, pepper, beans and chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in parsley and remaining salt.
- 4. Serve immediately or cool and freeze in a freezer container for up to 3 months.
- 5. To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 cup parsley and 1/2 teaspoons salt. Yield: 11 servings (1-3/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 270 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 499 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.