White Bean Soup with Escarole Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 bunch escarole or spinach, coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add broth, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Stir in orzo and escarole. Return to a boil; cook 12-14 minutes or until orzo is tender. Add beans; heat through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle servings with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for White Bean Soup with Escarole
Sort By :
This soup is absolutely delicious - especially with fresh, chopped spinach and freshly grated parmesan cheese. I've made it 3 times and always get rave reviews.
this soup was excellent, i used spinach instead of the escarole.. soup did come out a little thick, i might add just a little more broth to the recipe. next time. , soup has alot of garlic flavor but otherwise its perfectly seasoned. i would definetly make this again. i loved it. this soup was very colorful and fancy enough to serve to your guests