White Bean Soup Recipe
I turned to this hearty recipe after my husband had open-heart surgery. Filled with beans, veggies and chicken, it's chock full of fiber and lean protein to help fill us up. It makes a big batch so it's great to freeze for leftovers. —Elizabeth Wagner, Clio, Michigan
- 1/2 pound dried baby lima beans
- 1/2 pound dried great northern beans
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid; set beans aside. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. In the same pan, saute chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Drain and set aside. Saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add the carrots, celery and garlic; saute 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the broth, water, pepper, beans and chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in parsley and remaining salt.
- Serve immediately or cool and freeze in a freezer container for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 cup parsley and 1/2 teaspoons salt. Yield: 11 servings (1-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as White Bean Soup in Light & Tasty February/March 2008, p60
Reviews for White Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2013
Very good soup. It is hearty and filling. I served it with Honey Whole Wheat Rolls (recipe here in Taste of Home) and they were wonderful together.
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >