- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 Italian turkey sausage link, casing removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sherry, optional
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Spoon cheese into six mounds 3 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spread into 1-1/2-in. circles. Sprinkle with a dash of cayenne. Bake at 400° for 5-6 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool.
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute garlic for 1 minute or until tender. Stir in the beans, broth, cream, sherry if desired, parsley, salt, thyme and a dash of cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until heated through. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender; cover and process on high until almost blended. Pour into soup bowls; sprinkle with sausage mixture and Parmesan crisps. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for White Bean Sausage Soup(2)
Sort By :
Like the first reviewer, I changed the recipe a bit, however, I'm still giving it five stars simply for the idea. It' something I would have never thought up on my own. For starters, I doubled the recipe. My husband said it was very rich (I thought it was fine) so perhaps I should have added even more chicken broth. I too added some sauteed carrots and celery as well as extra garlic. Didn't have thyme so I used marjoram and subbed ancho chili powder for the cayenne since I was out of that too. Also reheated after blending and added more salt, pepper and chili powder. Two thumbs up.
Well I guess I really shouldn't rate this soup because I changed it so much but I did get rave reviews with the changes I made. I sauted onion, celery, carrots in olive oil until tender, then added two cloves of garlic for one more minute, then added four cups of chicken broth and two cans of northern white beans. Brought to a boil, simmers until vegetables were tender. Cooled slightly then puree the entire mixture. Reheated and added salt, peper, thyme. Delicious.