White Bean Salad
Great northern beans and a classic oil-and-vinegar dressing put an updated spin on traditional bean salad. The vibrant color and fantastic flavor make it a hit at summer parties.—Jane Rossen, Binghamton, New York
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + soaking
- 2 cups dried great northern beans
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven;
- add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until
- beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, cucumber, onion, olives and
- parsley. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until
- serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 216 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 299 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 9 g protein.