- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups shredded fresh spinach
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and fennel in oil until tender. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until fennel is tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Add spinach; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for White Bean Fennel Soup
"Love it! After reading the reviews, I added season salt, garlic and celery. It is delicious. A little fresh parmesan grated over each serving, along with some warm bread - cornbread or French bread - and you have a very satisfying meal. I definitely will make this again, maybe adding grilled or shredded chicken, pre-cooked sausage or turkey. My family loves soup year-round; so, this is an excellent light summer option when tomatoes & various herbs are in season and can be used fresh instead of canned or dried."
"This is wonderful soup - tasty and nutritious. Have made it many times since I found the recipe years ago in the magazine. (Came to the website now because I misplaced the recipe after making my grocery list today - hate when that happens!! But thankful to be able to get it again here.) This is one of our favorites."
"Loved this recipe. I always add additional amount of seasonings to recipes, as well as garlic and celery. I was afraid of the amount of fennel but I was truly wrong. This is a keeper."
"Perfect combination of ingredients. I used the veggie broth. For my second bowl :) I added a dash of sweet Thai Chili Sauce, and it was delicious, too. I will definitely make this soup again!"
"I loved this recipe! I added garlic and bacon to the soup and served over pasta with some parm cheese. Easy to make and oh so tasty!"
"I made this soup tonight, and was pleasantly pleased. I added a few carrots, 4 cloves garlic minced, 3 cups more broth, fresh herbs I'm growing, and 1/2 tsp salt, I used 3/4 c. orzo, and the soup was wonderful, and will make it many more times. served it with parmesan and garlic bread. thanks Donna for the wonderful recipe!"
"This is very good and the broth is surprisingly rich!"
"I'm head of food service for a local non-profit organization. Tried this a while back and even people who don't care for bean soup loved this. Now it's a regular on my menu plan. Will be making this many many times in the future."