White Bean and Pasta Soup Recipe
My husband and I savor every spoonful of this hearty soup. It makes a real stick-to-your ribs meal when served with crusty oven-fresh bread.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 2 hours YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/2 cups dried great northern beans
- 3/4 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked small shell pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- 2. In the same pan, cook the sausage, onion, carrot and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, water, currants, basil and reserved beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Add tomatoes and pasta; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Serve with cheese. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 180 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 648 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC