White Bean, Sweet Potato & Pepper Ragout Recipe
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir peppers in oil until tender. Add the sweet potato and rosemary; cook for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes and salt; heat through.
Serve immediately, or cool before placing in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen ragout: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a Dutch oven; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
1-3/4 cup: 286 calories, 5g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 551mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 13g fiber), 11g protein .
Reviews for White Bean, Sweet Potato & Pepper Ragout
"Looks a lot better in the picture. We didn't care for this. Not enough flavor."
"To give more flavor, I added a can of Italian diced tomatoes, 1/4 tsp of oregano & 1/4 tsp of crushed fennel seeds. Will definitely make again!!"
"nutritious and easy to make, but needed more flavor"
"I love this recipe. I've never like sweet potatoes because they are always served with brown sugar and marshmallow. This is a great dish for those who aren't usually big sweet potato fans."