“I try to serve a meatless meal two or three nights a week. It's a great way to keep up our vegetable intake-along with all the fiber and nutrients they provide. It even helps save money! This hearty comfort food is a family favorite.” Heather Savage - Corydon, Indiana
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir peppers in oil until tender. Add the sweet potato and rosemary; cook for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes and salt; heat through.
Serve immediately, or cool before placing in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen ragout: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a Dutch oven; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as White Bean, Sweet Potato & Pepper Ragout in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009, p55
Reviews for White Bean, Sweet Potato & Pepper Ragout
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review